Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Laundress

"Don't buy clothes for the baby. Everyone will give you clothes." So many people said.

What if we don't get clothes? What if people give us clothes but weeks after critter is born?

We're not hippies, Critter can't be naked!
So, we bought a few things in neutral unisex colors. And when I say a few, I mean a few, cause there isn't much available in non-gender specific colors!!

I wanted to wash everything before putting it away. I took everything out of the packaging and made a pile of critter's laundry.

We live in a building and have a common laundry room that all the tenants use. Every week I go down there and do a few loads. They just redid the room and upgraded the machines to the HE ones. The room is bright, it's clean, it's nice.

Hubby saw the pile of baby belongings and said:
"I don't think you should wash them in the machines. You don't know what people put in there."
"um, I think they put their dirty clothes in and thru technology the clothes got clean." I replied.
"I think you should hand wash everything." He said.
"huh?!?!? Hand wash all these things?" I said, looking at the pile.
I do hand wash delicate things; like lacy undergarments, silk and cashmere items.
BUT cotton onsies?!?!?!?
"I'm serious. I don't want the baby getting a rash or a skin infection." He persisted.....and persisted...and persisted.

Not to argue, I disinfected the bathroom sink, just like I do before I wash delicate items and I started washing what seemed like doll clothing. I took one item at a time, soaked it; then I added some detergent and washed it, rinsed, then added detergent and washed it again; rung it and hung it on a drying rack.
I repeated the steps for more onsies, sleeping onsies, a few socks and hats.
I was exhausted after washing only a few items and I had many more things to wash; more onsies, receiving blankets, Co-Sleeper sheets, waterproof liners, etc.

ENOUGH!!! This is insane. He wants things hand washed, he can do it himself!!

I'm taking the rest of the stuff down to the laundry room and using the washing machines that EVERYONE (Yikes!) in the building uses!

Shhhh....don't tell Hubby.

7 comments:

  1. The critter will be making so many dirty clothes it'll be impossible to keep up if you're doing it by hand. I go through no less than 3 outfits a day due to spit up and diaper busting poop-plosions. Also, you'll be holding the child against you and you'll be wearing clothing washed in those washers and laying it on your bed with sheets washed in those washers. and god only knows what'll be on the clothes of all those visitors that'll be clamoring to handle that baby...

    - Olivia's Servant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby remembers shared machines and what people did to them in the 'ol' hood...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does hubby also bring his own silverware to restaurants? Does he print his own money? Did he install a new toilet when you moved into your place? If you know the game '6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon' then you know that just about every thing you come into contact with is only a couple of degrees separated from just about every kind of filth and pestilence the human race has to offer. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can always take the clothes and beat them against a rock down by the river.
    Use the machines, why make life difficult for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny. Seems so unlike him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we should put Critter in a sterile bubble.

    I'm washing the clothes in a machine as I type. This is so much easier than hovering over a sink elbow deep in suds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin Group, I'm sure the 'ol' hood had people like you using the machines. No wonder Hubby is tainted! :-)

    ReplyDelete