Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tour = Show

What does someone do when they go into labor?
Do you call your doctor? Call an ambulance? Do you go to the emergency room?



All these questions were answered when Hubby and I took a tour of the maternity ward (sounds like it's for psychos and I most likely will act like one when I'm there).

The' tour guide' insisted "DO NOT GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM". Okay, I didn't know that, it would have been the place I'd go.
"Come into the hospital and go directly to the Maternity Ward. If you can't make it up there, tell them at information and assistance will be provided."

They showed us the Triage area where they monitor the Morther's progress, ie. are you really ready for the spectacle or do you have a way to go.
Then we went into a 'Birthing Room'. It's a typical10X10 room with a stirrup bed that reclines up. So, this is where I'll forget all the relaxation techniques and scream my head off and curse the day I met my husband and blame all the pain on him.
Then we headed to look at the room that the entire family (40+ people) will invade to gawk at Critter while I try to rest.

Tour Guide said a few things that were comforting.
The Birthing Bed comes to an upright position. The most ideal position for birthing is upright. I read it in a book.
This hospital encourages an immediate bond with the baby and will give Critter to me right after delivery to feed. I was going to mention to my Doctor next visit that I wanted to do that, and am so happy it'll happen.

We need to pay for Critter's college somehow so we'll be selling tickets to the Birth.

Get a front row seat (okay, standing room only) to the action.
Time the contractions.
Take bets on how many curse words I'll say.
Sing songs to calm me down.
Join the fun.
RSVP now.

*Please note: NO videotaping allowed. You're not making a dime off my drama.

Updated on May 5th.
I forgot to mention that in the Birthing Room is a television for our viewing pleasure. GREAT!! Hubby and I will be fighting over the remote just like we do at home.
"I want to watch the Simpsons."
" Well, I want to see what's on HGTV!"

5 comments:

  1. Put me down for one.
    Will refreshments be provided?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I also have the option of getting an epidural? I did so enjoy it the last time.

    -Olivia's Servant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine a lot of funny moments will happen in the room.
    I want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing happens as you imagine it. You can plan all you want, but once it's time you go on auto pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you REALLY, SERIOUSLY, having people in the room with you???

    ReplyDelete